Saturday, June 4, 2011

Bangor no longer stub ended and train lengths

The last couple of days I have been putting the return loop in and all of the turnouts to connect the ten tracks of Bangor and Brewer. I was able to lengthen the track a little compared to the lower level, so we can squeeze a little more cars into staging.
During the last session we found out that tonnage limits for the helix will be needed. The guys running their yards like to keep them clean and send out longer trains than I designed for. This got a local train stuck in the helix, partly do to the engine and partly due to the train being longer than it should be. We also ended up with a train that was four cars too long in Portland. Right now it didn't hurt too bad because I'm not using all of the tracks, but it will be a problem later.