Saturday, June 27, 2009
I have been selling some things on Ebay that were just to modern for what era I was modeling. I realized that I could get the Walthers built up turntable in exchange, so I basically swapped some older stuff I wasn't going to use for some new stuff that I will use. In fact the turntable will be the next thing to go in.
I held the first session with someone other than me. It was mostly a teaching season for some that have never been involved with any operations. I believe the word will get out about the fun he had and we'll be having more people as time goes on.
I was told that if you build it they will come. I am going to build it and we'll see about the rest.
Saturday, June 20, 2009
The car cards and waybills are all new. I was just hand writing over the old ones, which worked for initial testing, but if I'm going to run official sessions the operators needed the real thing.
Thursday, June 18, 2009
I'm looking forward to having OP sessions again on my Railroad.
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Now I'm pretty sure that it won't fit. Now I'm looking at options. The first being to take the turntable lead around and under the main line and bring the turntable to the front of the layout. The second was to alter the turnouts on the south side and curve them into the yard, which might actually lengthen my short yard tracks.
It looks like more measurements are in order.
The north end of Portland now has a passenger siding that will hold 3 85' cars. Behind this track is a coach yard that will hold 6 cars total on the two tracks. Behind it is a track for the REA building. This track should hold four cars.
On the center left of the picture is track temporarily laid out to see where the industry tracks will be. My original plan had these two areas off the same lead, however I stretched the total yard length which gave me room to separate these two areas.
Thursday, June 11, 2009
One of the problems I found was a handful of turnouts had no power on the rails leading away from the frog. I previously cut gaps near the frogs, but I had so much trouble when unsoldering them for my move, I chose to gap at the end of the rail. This meant no power for a short distance on one of the rails. I didn't find this out until I was using my switchers in slow speed. The engines were short enough to lose power in that section. No problem, just drop a few more wires.
The last thing was I put a fourth track (stub) in staging for the four trains that I can run right now. I was thinking that I could run a train around the layout and then back it in at the end of the run. Except that with small operations, all the double ended tracks were in use so I couldn't get around. So, I added another track (stub). Now I can leave one track completely free for continuous operations and two trains can back into there spot. This staging is only temporary anyways. It should work fine for this phase of operations
Sunday, June 7, 2009
I'm doing small op sessions and slowly adding cars and to find the right balance of cars for the available industries. The real fun is tunning up the cars as I add them to the layout. This includes cleaning the 10+ years of accumulated dust on each car.
Friday, June 5, 2009
Things seemed to go smoothly, but of course there was only one of me. I do have a couple of very minor things to look at. One extra staging track and a few more cars are in order. Rigby yard is very empty at this time.
Monday, June 1, 2009
Now I get to decide what cars will get used first, tune them up and get Operations started.