With all of the changes in Portland, I needed to make a new panel for Portland. I initially made one similar to the bottom, but sized for the top. It was cramped.
During the last session, I noticed that Bath had a much larger panel than needed. The good news was Bath needed to be fixed anyway. There was a button in the wrong spot.
I decided to go ahead and make two new panels, with the intent of swapping the two boxes around. There is more work involved, but it will be better in the long run.
These particular panels will get painted white and then the tape will be removed revealing a black track diagram. The holes for the lights and buttons are already in, they are hidden by the tape.
I have been playing around with the layout for the car float. My initial idea was to place the small yard behind the car float, but I was worried about reaching behind the car float.
The first picture shows the yard in the front and the barge lowered down behind it
This makes the car float harder to reach and hides the car float from sight. In this case the cars on the float are harder to get to.
This shows the the original plan. If I keep the yard turnouts to the right of the car float crane it should be okay. The barge will be more visible and I'll be able to add wharf area scenery toward the front.
It s time to change Portland. It will be the last major construction on the layout. I do not want to cancel a session, so I try to do as much as I can before tearing up the actual layout. In this case it was just easier to "go for it" and hope for the best.
In the first picture you can see all of the old Code 100 track is now gone and I'm working on cleaning up where new roadbed will go.
I have now added the new benchwork table top where the return loop used to be and started gluing down the roadbed for the mainline and two sidings. In the fore ground is the location of the car float.
Along time ago I was looking into a name change. The original name didn't fit anymore. I also had a hard time trying to make a good logo. One reason was the long Name. I brought it up about a year and half ago, with some possible changes. Since that time I saw pictures of the Central Maine & Quebec Railroad. I liked their logo and paint scheme a lot. I also have always liked the Belfast and Moosehead Railroad name. It runs out they both have a moose in their logo.
The name I had always leaned toward was Casco Bay Northen, which pretty much covers the area I'm modeling.
So I break out Photoshop and try to relearn how to do things. The first try was to modify the BML to colors that matched an engine picture I had and make the Moose a single color like the CMQ.
Then I changed the Moose to black. And even tried a black outline.
Then I brought back the original colors of the Moose.
Then I modified the colors to bett match the CMQ logo colors. I also tried a darker gray, but you couldn't see the name real good. Depending on the light in the picture the engine seems to change colors somewhat.
I'm leaning toward the lighter blue and the Moose with the shading, but I may have to try other colors first.
I also have all of the other names that was mentioned earlier in the photoshop version of this picture, but they are hidden for now.
Here are plans for Portland. The top part of the plan is very similar to what is already in place. Everything to the front is new. I hope to make Portland a lot more water front. This will include the barge (car float) and hopefully three other wharf areas.
I did a preliminary set up and all looks good, but things might change a little as I get started. My biggest worry would be over loading Brunswick yard. At the moment I'm using the old sawmill tracks as a temporary barge. It doesn't do justice to the real thing, but I get a feel for what will happen to the yard.
Since I made all the changes to the upper and lower level, I added about 25 cars to the layout. The good news is that at least half won't get into Brunswick. So maybe it won't be a problem.
I decide to go,with the car float, so here is the car float under construction.
It was suggested that I should use metal rails instead of the provided plastic rails. It was a slight pain to do that, but the results are definitely better. I also started the car float apron to make sure that the change of rails wouldn't mess me up.
When I made the hill to get down to Bangor, I had to. Start a little closer to Katahdin, to keep the grade lower. During the next Op Session, it was discovered that a hill brake would be needed. I started to make just a temporary block, but decided I could get it done in time for the next session.
It took a few tries with the bending of the wire bit came came up with this.
I had to turn the wire sideways and add a washer to hold the wire in place. I used the block of wood to hold the wire where I wanted it to be.
A view of the brake when it is holding the train in place. it can be operated from a local control panel and by the dispatcher. It will also affect
I had 1 month between sessions and only planned on reducing 8' of upper decking by 9", but keeping the track work. Needless to say the plan went to hell quickly. The wires were running through holes in the benchwork, which meant I had to disconnect all of them. So what happened was ~30 feet of trackwork got removed.
Since I had to go beyond initial ideas I decided to relay all of the track too.