Tuesday, October 25, 2011
I found another small building for a siding that will probably be used in Wiscasset. It will be the only industry to be located there. It should give me a chance to try a milk train and give the passenger trains something to switch.
I also changed out the screens for the Eno Valley Dispatch Panel. It is very nicely done, so it will make a nice addition. The other monitors will be used as spares.
Wednesday, October 19, 2011
The Icing Facility that was in Brunswick is now in Searsport. Laura Chemical from Johnstown, Lowsaw Pipe from Benny, Grandt Tool from Alto and Lee Beverage will also be in Searsport. I add 12 car spots with these changes.
I had a Northeast Pipe in Bucksport which will now be replaced as something to be determined later. All in all I was worried were I would place all of these structures and the layout sucked them up with Searsport being the place where you will notice the structures.
One the truly great model railroads (Ed Dougherty's Eno Valley)had to be dismantled. I purchased a lot of his structures for two reason's, to save me time in building and allow parts of his railroad to live on. The next few posts will show some of these items and my plan changes for them.
Friday, October 7, 2011
The problem was that an extra turn of the helix meant that I had to come out of the helix higher than a bridge that was right at the exit of the helixe and then I would have to work my way back down so the switching could be performed at the next town.
No problems were noticed right away because one of the groups that comes here regular runs the trains a little faster and they made it up the hill until a yardmaster overloaded the train. Then a new group of people started coming and they operate a bit slower than the first group and for three straight sessions we needed helpers. I don't mind helpers it adds a little to the session. However this helix is meant to be covered up and that won't work with helpers.
Now I must decide on a new plan. I made plenty of measurements and the only good one seems to be that I must raise the bridge. There were other options and I liked some of them better, but the only one that works all the way around is to raise the bridge.
This will take some time to figure out if it is the right thing to do. In the mean time I plan to add an engine to all trains going uphill and I will eventually double head the down hill also. Two engines per train has been the plan all along, I just had to get to it. I fixed issues with the worm gear on the Proto engines that already had decoders and added them to the trains. I have also installed decoders in 6 more engines and they'll be ready to add shortly. I do have to watch out because I'm sure I'm about to overload the single Digitrax booster I have.
The good news for some of my operators is that there will be a couple more steam engines to run now.