Sunday, January 17, 2016

Back to making Resistor wheels

I'll need more cars, for the new expansion, so I'll need many more resistor wheelsets. I'm making them a slightly different way than the last time.
The last time I used conductive paint which is pretty expensive. I have also noticed that the paint on the wheels might flake off when handles. This time I'm using conductive glue. It seems to go on much easier, but takes a little longer to dry.
I will take one extra step this time and that is putting clear nail polish over the resistor and glue for extra protection.
I check the resistance of the wheel after the glue dries. I use 4.7K resistors and as long as the value is between 4.7K and 10K (the value other people use) I'll call it good. Then I put it on the track and watch the signals change. Then I put on the nail polish and recheck resistance.
When the wheels are installed on a car, I will recheck the car on the layout again before placing it in service.

No comments:

Post a Comment