Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Near Disaster Averted

I decided to get a few cars, that I had been collecting, ready for the layout. This would include resistor wheels and weight.

I'm making the empty weight of the cars higher than the NMRA specs if I can. I made a spreadsheet page that would take the scale length and convert it to a NMRA weight needed. I would then put in the actual weight and it would calculate how much over or under I would be. I'm choosing to use the empty weight because I figure someday I would be removing loads between sessions. I am also adding a little weight trailers so it would help weigh the cars a little more.

This is a change from earlier because when I weighed cars before I left them close to the standard, but a little light.

During this process I realized that I forgot to enter a car in my car card program. I wasn't exactly sitting straight in front of the computer and when I went to click on waybills, my hand slipped and I clicked on the next item in the drop down box. At this point I didn't even know what I clicked on, but I tried to re-click what I wanted a crashed the program. I restarted the program and found that my click was on clear all waybill data. With no warning whatsoever the data was gone. Almost 400 cars worth.

I sat in shock for a few seconds and then went to my backups and fortunately there was another copy of the data. I have all the data in my balancing spread sheet so it could be recreated, but that would have taken a very long time.

2 comments:

  1. That's a bad day when you realize all your data is gone. Glad you were able to recover it Chuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wouldn't have hurt initially because everything is already printed. The data input would have taken and enormous amount of time though.

    ReplyDelete