Friday, July 22, 2022

Phone System

I have been dreading having to get out the phone system and get it working again. I did mark wires and took pictures before I took things apart. It was a good thing too. I had did have a difficult time at times when first wiring it up. Mostly because phone wiring diagrams are different from what I used to.

So I had to go back try try and figure things out again. The first thing was to hook up two phones and see if they worked. They did. On to the next step. Getting the DS call box working. This was a little more tricky. The 12 vdc wires were Black and Green and I didn't remember what was the positive wire. I used an off color because I already used the normal colors for something else. I fixed that this time around. So did I replace the Green with red OR did I use the Green as ground. When first hooked up and wires were swapped and still didn't work, I wasn't sure where to go. Then I noticed there was and extra black wire at the phone connections….then I remembered that we had to use an extra wire as a common hooked to my accessory bus, because with the call light and busy light we didn't have enough wires. That wire was black so I figured it went to the old black (common).

After some testing it turned out that Green replaced red and now the busy light works, the call button will buzz the local station. Things are looking up. The last thing to get going was the DS headset. I had hiccups with this before and currently I still do.
Back to it again tomorrow. This puzzle is the last piece of getting my layout back to what I had before the move. If all else fails at least radios work…for the short term.

1 comment:

  1. All of the layout phones are working after some testing. A few wires had to be re connected. All of the buttons and lights from the DS call board and indicator lights at each individual phone are working correctly. The DS can hear what is going on, but at the moment he cannot talk to the crew.
    Some of the crew would probably say that is a good thing. Hopefully I can figure that out and where to put the main board so can can get everything installed.

    ReplyDelete