Friday, April 1, 2011

This is no April Fool

I went down the the train room to do a little file updating on the dispatch server. The C drive went belly up and wouldn't boot. I'm no network guru so things weren't looking up. Not only was updating files not going to happen, but now fixing the server was high priority.
I emailed my computer genius (no not me)and he gave me things to think about. I have a couple of old computer boxes that were supposed to work, but I never had a chance to test them. The worst part was digging into the deep recesses of my brain. Way back to DOS.
I decided to change out the hard drive first and I was able to get the computer to boot up, although it needed the right files. I then decided that possibly the first drive had a stuck arm and decided that I would whack it a couple of times and maybe it would come up as the D drive.
Sure enough the hard drive came back to life. I quickly figured out all of the files I needed (I hope) on the backup drive and copied them over. Now I'm back in business and with another hard drive if needed.
I then went and updated the files to include some new additions.

No comments:

Post a Comment