Sunday, October 11, 2015

Swap to NCE is complete

I spent some time bench testing NCE in the hopes that the transition would be easier and because I wasn't sure that I wanted to start 3 days before an Op Session.

I started hooking thins up one at a time to my test track to see that things were working properly. This took a little while. Let's just say the NCE manual at times needs a serious look into changes. There was quite a bit missing that would have helped a lot. The command station was fine. Putting batteries into the Cab Pro was a trip. They were so tight they kept wanting to fly out before you can get the cover on. The cover is also flimsy so those batteries are still trying to get out.

I brought two engines out that were MU'd with digitrax, so they needed to be re-consisted and that was pretty easy. These two engines developed a problem with digitrax where they would only run very slow. This problem went away with NCE.

The wireless was a trip mostly because there was absolutely no directions in the starter set. I eventually opened the repeater box and it had directions for both.

Mike Pennie came over to help and we were moving to try it on the layout. I had been using the old Digitrax power supply on the test track because I didn't want to take out the big power supply. This power supply was removed a while back because there were too many engines. So we get into the layout and hook up the "old power supply" with the NCE and connect the track wires. Everything looked good and wham not so good. After a while of scratching our heads, I had a "duh" moment. The small power supply was taken off earlier because it was too small.
We hooked up the the bigger supply and all was fine.

We started playing with the fascia panels and the wireless and got to a point of no return. We had to finish. For some reason some of the bus wires didn't work with NCE, even though they seemed to with Digitrax. I felt nervous enough about the available amps I added the booster.
They will both need to be moved after the session because for convenience I was only able to get a 2/3-1/3 split of the layout and the number of engines is much higher on the bigger section

I replaced all but one plug in panel because I didn't order enough, but the amount of panels is probably overkill with the improved radio reception.

Speaking of radio, I only had one antenna installed in one of the rooms and I almost had full coverage. I had to stick the throttle back by the backdrop in the far corner with my body between it and the antenna to show a problem.

The consisted engines have been re-consisted and show no ill effects of swapping systems. Now to test with nine people at one time.

2 comments: