Thursday, December 31, 2009

Backdrops and Benchwork

I had to clean up the layout and shop area because I was having trouble moving around. Part of that work was to throw away what I knew I wouldn't use. There were still a few scenicked pieces of the old layout. I kept what I could and threw away the rest.

Another part of the cleanup was to try and get some of the big pieces of material cut down to size so I could get it out of the way. I cut up the big sheets of hardboard and installed quite a bit of backdrop. I normally like the hardboard that is finished on both sides, however I have found that they don't flex quite as much as the kind that is finished only on one side. This means that a few of mine have broken in the corners because I flexed them too much. Unfortunately I can't find the other kind right now.

I still had a few big 1x4's and 2x4's to use and get out of my way. I decided to make a test case for the last piece of benchwork This takes up a lot of the remaining floor so I made some brackets to hold it, so it can be removed so I can get around the room. I'm a little worried that this is too big, so I'll leave it up while I get a feel for if this is the right thing to do.

This piece of benchwork will allow me to raise the trackwork from the drill in the left center of the picture to the drill in center of the picture, by coming toward the end of the benchwork and turning around and going back. There will be a town on the left as you come toward the screen and a yard on the right as you head back. You might be able to see that I'll have to make one more turn around this middle section to get to the upper level and then exit to the right.

I couldn't keep South always to the left and North always to the right. I was able to place a river crossing at the upper level, so that geographically the operator will always be on the water side of the tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment