Wednesday, May 25, 2016

My new favorite toy

I was going to put together something to more easily tell me what was going on with my signals. I had put a couple of signals together through splitters which Dil Huey recommended against. Of course I don't always listen.

This is a tester for the signals and occupancy detectors. I inherited it when other folks torn down their layout. I knew I had some test equipment but I hadn't paid attention to how to use it. The top section is for checking Occupancy Detectors and the bottom will check the signals. It makes it easy to plug in to my I/O board to check that I'm getting the outputs or inputs expected. You can go farther down the line if you put splitters or connectors in. 


It turns out that the I/O boards are fine. Some of the trouble arises with the splitters and most of the trouble arises with my installation techniques. I allowed the wires from the signals to have stress on them, instead of securing them properly. My old signals with mag wire rubbed the insulation off and when moved can cause a short. In some cases wires broke either way I learn some things today.



1 comment: